•  

Photo
- - - - -

Unfair criticism of the Vet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 swifter_uk

Wa____Hay!

• Admin
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:42 PM

The stadium recieved this email a couple of days ago, with the permission of the sender I am reproducing it here:

Dear Sir/Madam

As a greyhound owner of 15 years + standing, I was very annoyed to see the criticism the vet received for her? (not sure whether the vet is a he or she sorry) treatment of Chris Lund's dog.

I applaud the stance made by the vet in not simply just putting to sleep a dog with a broken hock. It is a great pity in my opinion that this is not policy throughout all NGRC tracks. Hock injuries are in the main not life threatening. Career ending? The majority are, but that does not mean that the dog cannot have a long and happy retirement. Unfortunately too many people in the sport are entrenched in the past and it will take many more years for attitudes towards dogs to change.

Whether these people like it or not, welfare is and will remain the number one issue in our sport and unless it is addressed we may not have a sport inside ten years.

I have yet to visit Hove, but some of my friends in the sport are busy organising a get together at the track on October 6th. I will enjoy my night even more knowing that the welfare of the dogs is in such safe hands.

Kind regards

Paul Koller
Winsford
Cheshire

#2 sumik_uk

Veteran

• Super Moderators
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:23 PM

Below is a letter published in the Racing Post yesterday written by trainer Chris Haywood:

Letter: Injuries all treatable

Published: 01/08/2007 (Letters) Chris Haywood I WRITE in response to your recent lead article regarding broken hock injuries.
I would wish to add support to the Hove vet who refused to put the greyhound concerned to sleep. I admit I'm not a vet, but a former trainer and obviously am not aware of the extent of the unfortunate Jeddies Liberty's plight. But I do have experience of broken hocks to dogs within my care.
All were saved and are happily with me still, and all three can be seen running round my field. None will race again, though.
I was told by more than one vet that hock injuries are all treatable, and having the evidence in front of me, I would venture to agree. If anyone wants to see Questhouse Miles, Droopys Tardelli or Knockeevan Again as proof as to what can be done and the outcome, they are more than welcome.
Incidentally, Savana Highlands went to the same vet (Graham Oliver) who fixed my last two. He is thoroughly recommended.
Chris Haywood By email