•  

Photo

Lightly raced? Well raced? Bothered?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Livi

Veteran

• Gold Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:57 AM

Looking at the betfair forum and having discussed broods/potential broods with many people. Are lightly raced bitches the better broods, or are well raced bitches better......or does it make no difference whatsoever?

But could it appear that the lightly raced broods are maybe more successful, not because they are lightly raced but because they are very well bred and their owners are eager to hurry up and breed from them,therefore they retire early and people attribute their success as a brood to the fact they are lightly raced? Hope that makes sense - just a thought!

Personally I dont think it makes a lot of difference, but many people consider lightly raced broods to be more desirable.

Opinions? :D

#2 James

James Peakman

• Gold Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:49 AM

for me it would depends how well the lightly raced had performed.

#3 go_faster_stripes

Judas

• Super Moderators
  • 591 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:03 AM

Livi ~ Chicken and egg for me (and that’s not what I want for my dinner !).

I'm keen for the brood to have shown good race ability whether this is in trials or races combined with good breeding and a decent temperament.

Obviously if the brood isn’t yours the latter is hard to know. I wouldn’t like to personally breed from a brood who has been overaced but I'm sure I could list you dozens of b*tches who have raced lots and made successful broods.

Ian Greaves regularly breeds from b*tches who have never officially stepped on the track but I'm sure he knows whether they have ability / right temperament before mating them. Its got to take something out of them racing but I guess we'll never know how much…..

Doesn’t really answer your question though ~ for me less than 50/60 races, well bred with proven damline and good natured (not too hyper).

Stripes

#4 Whisper

Veteran

• Gold Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:14 PM

For me , the brood has to be at least open class.
with NO nerves.

"Stripes" Trials are for show, races are for dough :D

#5 go_faster_stripes

Judas

• Super Moderators
  • 591 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:51 PM

But my dogs can only win trials :D

For me , the brood has to be at least open class.
with NO nerves.

"Stripes" Trials are for show, races are for dough :D

#6 James

James Peakman

• Gold Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:43 AM

but every bitch that got an injury was the pick of the litter and flying in trials

#7 spit the dog

Veteran

• Gold Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:05 AM

Livi

I bought a bitch pup out of Brett Lee she injured herself at 10 months old will never race because the bitch is very well bred i will take a litter from her and because of her breeding i am not fussed that she will be unraced .

My choice of broodie to breed from or buy from would be a bitch classic breeding that only had handfull of races maybe 5 or 6 did fast times and was retired for breeding .

Spit the dog

#8 James

James Peakman

• Gold Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:00 PM

"races maybe 5 or 6 did fast times and was retired for breeding"

why is that? do you think they breed better as younger bitches?